Tuesday 26 October 2010

Sloth Diary Aviarios del Caribe - 26 October 2010

Today I thought I'd introduce you to the sloths I care for each day. I'm responsible for 14 two toed sloths: Janet, Maggie, Andy, Willow, Fibo, Grace, Bently, Maddie, Sarita, Dulcinea, Bustah, Gypsy, Olivia and Avie. They are all really sweet, except when it rains. When it rains they get upset and swing their arms rapidly.

Janet is usually asleep when I enter her enclosure but she does respond to her name and I can get her to eat her food.
Janet eating a bean...
Maggie is really cheeky, she steals Janet's food if Janet is asleep and she always greets me when I enter her enclosure.
Maggie showing how to eat and practice her trapeze act at the same time, proving that sloths can multitask - go girl!

Andy is surrounded my females but it doesn't seem to bother him.
Andy eating his berros (you can see Oona behind him).

 Next is Willow. Willow is really sweet and very alert. She likes her food and never leaves a scrap.
Willow eating her greens...
 Next to Willow is Fibo. Fibo is a male sloth with a really cute beach towel for a blanket.
Fibo keeping a tight grip on his beach towel.
Grace is next. Grace is a real cutie. She likes to lick your hand and greet you at the door to her enclosure.
This is Grace on her way to greet me, she can move quickly for a sloth.
Next to Grace is Bently. Poor Bently is blind but manages quite well.
Bently eating his breakfast...
Maddie comes next she has the enclosure opposite Bently.
Maddie loves her purple towel, she is usually wrapped in it when she sleeps.
Sarita has the enclosure next to Maddie.
Sarita is a bit of a contortionist...

Dulcinea is Sarita's neighbour.
Dulcinea is practising her sword swallowing act...
Bustah (a male) has a sign outside his cage saying 'mas comida', which means more food.
Bustah with a mound of berros.
Gypsy is a gentle sloth who is very affectionate.

Gypsy checking that she has eaten all her berro leaves.
The last enclosure contains two sloths: Olivia and Avie. I have given them purple towels because they like to pinch the other sloths food before I have had chance to feed them.
Avie eating her bean and berro at the same time.
Olivia checking out her berros.


No comments:

Post a Comment